Sunday 24 October 2010

What a coup!

Anybody else with eagle eyes spot the item below on eBayUK earlier on in the week?







Well I am very proud to announce that it now resides with ME!
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


According to Virginia Mescher in "Flitting Fingers" (2002) & I quote.......

".........[A copy of this book was unavailable as a primary reference, but was mentioned in several secondary sources (an aside: just wish she had said which secondary sources!). The only known copy that was located had been housed in the British Library, but was destroyed in World War II during the London Blitz.]......."

That would by definition, if she is right, mean that I now own the ONLY known copy!!!!!! Sorry but I can't stop crowing - I am just SO EXCITED!

I have a question for all out there in tatland - if I reissued it, would there be any interest in buying it? I am planning on it being an actual hardcopy not in pdf form and it wouldn't be an exact reproduction (too easy to rip off) but a true facsmilie. As I have not been at work for 7 weeks with the problems with my eye (& won't be back for at least another week) I am not being paid so need to try & earn some money somehow to tide us over, particularly with Xmas fast approaching (& a 9yr old that has a hard time understanding cost-cutting LOL) so there would need to be a charge & to cover printing costs etc as well.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Or would there be some interest? Please give me your feedback!








2 comments:

'RainbowRose' Connie Faulconer said...

I don't know much about that sort of stuff,,,but it sure looks like an old book. I think you got something pretty awesome there Trayna!

Martha said...

I must have missed this when you posted. How astoundingly lucky!

Elgiva Nicholls' Tatting Technique and History 1962, is a secondary source that references this book. You can tell that she had access to a copy.

Since I am becoming seriously interested in the history of tatting, I would love to see a copy of this. Whether I would buy a reproduction copy would depend on the price. A pdf copy would be fine if you should go that route instead if there was not enough interest in printed copies